When new opportunities come along in life one of the key challenges is keeping your life in balance. It's easy to bite off more than you can chew or to do things that aren't taking you in the direction that you really want to go. Here are some questions to ask yourself when you are deciding to take on a new commitment:
- What's exciting about this new opportunity? What makes it worth pursuing?
- What concerns do you have about this?
- What will I have to sacrifice to do this? What's the cost?
- How does this align with your bigger purpose?
- What will you likely have to give up in place of this new pursuit?
- Where does the motivation to do this come from? Internal or external motivation?
- When is the the right time to pursue this? Now or should you wait? If so when?
- How will this decision affect your life and the life of those around you (family, friends, partners, coworkers, clients, students, etc) now and in the future?
- What would happen if you decided NOT to do it? What is there to lose or gain?
- What would the consequences of your decision be in 10 minutes, 10 months & 10 years? (Suzy Welch wrote a book on this perspective called 10/10/10)
- The final question is posed by Derek Sivers who says, "If you don't think HELL YEAH, then your answer should be no."
Those last two are my favorite!
All the best,